Saturday, October 4, 2008

The story of a Doula and a Midwife



Well...I guess it is that time of the pregnancy that you really start to think about how labor is going to go and start to feel anxious about the unexpected.

With Brock, I didn't think much about it...I just went into labor and never thought that anything could go wrong...I would get the natural birth that I wanted. Erik and I went to the hospital when my contractions were five minutes apart. The Dr. broke my water to try to move things along and when I wasn't progressing as fast as he thought I should, he started me on pitocin (which made my contractions very intense). After trying to go natural for many hours, I finally decided to request an epidural. Erik was falling asleep (not his fault) because he had been up for 24 hours working the midnight shift. I was struggling to work through the contractions by myself. Long story short, I pushed for over an hour and a half. Brock was almost out, but his head was tilted and the Dr. showed us that even with the use of forceps that he would not be able to get him out. My blood pressure was dropping (I was on oxygen), Brock's heart rate was dropping (he was being monitored by things attached to his head) and the Dr. said an emergency C-section was the only option. I had no idea what a C-section entailed or what the recovery would be like because I had passed over that part in every pregnancy book that I read (that wasn't going to be me....I thought). Of course we were thrilled Brock was healthy and glad that everything had worked out.

Now, 2 years later and thinking about going through this again, I (along with Erik's support) have decided that I would like to try to have a natural birth. Most Dr.'s encourage you to have a repeat C-Section because they feel it is safer (they worry about the uterus rupturing). After researching, Erik and I decided that the risk is very low and that we wanted educate ourselves and try to set ourselves up for success for the birth that we would like to achieve. Erik felt he had missed out on cutting the cord and we both missed out on the initial bonding. I would LOVE to have my baby on my chest after birth and not wheeled away while I have to be in the OR for another hour while they sew me back up and so drugged up that I can't even nurse him. Also, recovery for me was not easy, and the thought of not being able to be active with Brock was another reason for our decision. We have learned A LOT through this researching/learning process. I feel so much more in control of my body. Before, I let the Dr.'s do as they wished with me.

So...we have hired a Doula (a labor coach). Lindsay will help me work through my contractions, in the case that Erik has been up for a long time with work (since he is still on midnight shift). Hopefully using a Doula will help me avoid wanting to get an epidural (this way too, I can feel before any monitor can detect anything that something doesn't feel right if I were to start rupturing) and try to achieve a natural birth.

This week, we have been anxious about our Dr. She said she would allow me to have a VBAC (under certain criteria of course), but in the back of my mind I felt like she was going to find an excuse to get me back in the OR for another C-Section (she herself had elected a repeat C-section for her 2nd child). There were some red flags that kept coming up, but I wanted to ignore them because I dreaded the idea of having to switch this late in the game. If I do end up having another emergency C-section, I want to know that I did everything in my power to avoid it. We do not want any regrets.

After talking to my Doula and some other ladies, we have decided to switch to the Nurse-Midwives at Vanderbilt Medical Center (which means I will be delivering at Vanderbilt). So far, I am SO impressed. The midwife spent over an hour with us at the appointment answering our questions and reassuring us that my body can do this. I get the best of both worlds, I get to have a midwife who is supportive of natural birth and feels my body can do it, yet I have great Dr.'s from Vanderbilt who are over the midwives in case something goes wrong or if I decide I need an epidural, etc. So...I have about 6 1/2 weeks left before the due date and I am finally at peace with our decision. I am ready for this!!!

4 comments:

Tara said...

Rachel- this is great news that you can finally feel a sense of peace that you will have the birth that you want. I truly hope that everything works out so that you can have that "birth" that we all want. Since I went through the same thing, I understand exactly what you mean. You guys will be in my prayers! Sounds like you found a great place!

k.mart said...

Sounds like a GREAT decision, especially since you all are at peace about His plan for this little life to come into the world. You know I'd risk having my baby in the car to deliver exactly there if ever we're supposed to have another-- haha! :) You CAN do this!!! With continued prayer and support, you and Erik will do what's best for you and your family; we wish you just that-- the best!

The Solares Family said...

You can do it!!! It will be painful but its ALL mental. Focus on all the things you missed with Brock, like the nursing & cutting the cord & quick recovery. I wish I could be there to help you through it. =)

Cole said...

Rachel- What an encouragement to read this on your blog! I remember having several conversations with you about this particular issue. I'm so excited that you have a plan and I can't wait to hear how it all goes. Have you read anything on the "Bradley Method"? I've had several friends who have used this and loved it. I also recommend the book "Husband Coached Child Birth". Hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well!